WHAT IS A DoS ATTACK?
Denial-of-service (DoS) attacks can flood servers, systems and websites with malicious traffic in order to crash them and make it difficult, or even impossible, for your customers and your staff to access them. When the attack comes from multiple sources at once, it’s referred to as a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS). Unlike other cyber attacks, many DDoS attacks aren’t designed for financial gain, but simply to harm your business by causing inconvenience to your customers and staff.
How can it affect your business?
- Disable access to your systems and company websites
- Inconvenience and frustrate your customers
- Lead to loss of revenue for your business
- Cause damage to business reputation
- Incur costs to patch and restore systems
First steps towards being protected
- Educate your staff to recognise early signs of a DoS attack, such as slow network performance (opening files or accessing websites), an inability to access websites, or a dramatic increase in spam
- Update your software regularly and install firewalls and anti-virus software
- Contact your IT provider as soon as you notice signs of an attack
ASSESS YOUR RISK
Answer a few questions for an assessment of your level of risk.Start now
Learn more about Cyber Threats
Cyber threats are a risk of doing business in our digital world. They include everything from rogue tweets made by employees that cause reputational damage, to hardware or infrastructure failure resulting in data loss, and even malicious malware and viruses that leave your digital systems crippled.Find out more