WHAT IS EMPLOYEE MISADVENTURE?
Employee Misadventure is when an employee negatively impacts your business by misusing your social media accounts, websites or data. That can include posting or sharing inappropriate content under your business’ social media accounts, or marketing incorrect pricing for your products. Employee Misadventure could be a genuine mistake, or it could be malicious.
How can it affect your business?
- Damage to business reputation
- Inconvenience for customers if access to their online account is disabled while you fix any issues
- Impact to revenue if forced to honour incorrect prices
- Costs to engage PR experts to help mitigate the issue
First steps towards being protected
- Ensure more than one person in your business has access to your social media accounts, website CMS and marketing platforms
- If an employee leaves the business, ensure their access to all online accounts is disabled
- Have an incident response plan which maps all your data risks and online accounts - know what you have and who has access
- Educate your employees on appropriate social media use, including what your company is prepared to say, and who you’re prepared to support
- Have a sign-off procedure for any marketing
ASSESS YOUR RISK
Answer a few questions for an assessment of your level of risk.Start now
Learn more about Cyber Threats
Cyber threats are a risk of doing business in our digital world. They include everything from rogue tweets made by employees that cause reputational damage, to hardware or infrastructure failure resulting in data loss, and even malicious malware and viruses that leave your digital systems crippled.Find out more